CHAPTER: 8 | THE OTHMANS (PART-2)

From the moment Laiba woke up in her bed that morning, she knew it wasn't just another day. Her potent gut feeling was trying to tell her something and her instincts were blaring sirens. Walking down the marble corridors, watching maids move about their day, and doing the usual chores made her question herself whether she was awake or dreaming.

Sarah was in the boutique and Haider Ahmed was in the office. She was home alone with butterflies in her stomach. She was anxious, a bit restless or perhaps, it was all just in her head.

She couldn't quite put a finger on what it was but there was something bizarre about the day.

To distract herself, she tried reading and failed. She tried painting and failed. She even tried doing nothing and failed. She couldn't sit still or relax for a second. She kept walking and walking, going round and round the corridors until her legs gave away.

Exhausted, she curled up in a comfortable cushioned chair and fell asleep(to her relief). She was later woken up by Sarah when she returned home in the evening.

"Is it okay if I stay in my room? I don't feel like socializing tonight."

Laiba told Sarah back in the room.

"Abi would be okay with you staying in your room but he would want me to socialize. And I can't do this alone." She faced her, "So you, my friend, are coming with me." She pulled her up to her feet and forced her to get ready for the day.

Drudgingly, Laiba donned a flowy sundress and wrapped a hijab on her head. For make-up, she applied some mascara on her lashes, some tint on her cheeks and gloss on her lips. She accessorized her look with a bracelet on her wrist, a delicate necklace and ballerinas for shoes.

Near dusk, beneath the shadowy sky, the cars entered the Ahmed Residence, one after the other through the humongous gates that were pulled open by the guards. Manoeuvring smoothly over the slabs of concrete, a shiny dark blue Mercedes followed by a shimmering silver BMW halted in front of the mansion that spread wide across an enormous picturesque lawn that was surrounded by high stone walled fences with cylindrical fluorescent lamps. The car doors popped open and Yusuf Othman stepped out, followed by his wife, Jahanra Shah and his sister, Zara Othman from the back seat.

Behind them, Areesha appeared out of the other car, garbed in a full-sleeved, long, black chiffon kurta, black leggings, black pointed heels and on her left shoulder was a black dupatta with delicate golden stones studded on it. Her cousins, Habeeba and Maha emerged after her and joined the rest.

Spreading his arms open, Haider Ahmed proceeded towards the Othmans, calling out 'Marhabah!Marhabah!' in a high, cheerful voice while Laiba stood at the threshold of the mansion with Sarah, along with some maids to welcome the guests. The men guffawed and went for a hearty embrace whereas the family stood at a distance and greeted Haider Ahmed with smiles and courteous nods.

Sarah and Laiba received them at the doorway with Salams and Musafahs. Up close, the Othmans were looking more splendid than they looked from afar. Laiba noticed that the ladies were wearing abayas but the girls weren't. They were all ostentatiously dressed in lavish clothes and were young and beautiful especially a girl, who looked like a model from those fashion magazines. Laiba only recognised Yusuf Othman among them and nodded at him in acknowledgement. He smiled at her and then whispered something to the lady beside him, who looked at her with curious eyes, her brows frowning and lips slightly curved. Suddenly, she beamed at her. Not knowing how to react, Laiba nervously, returned the smile.