CHAPTER: 30 | THE NEGOTIATION (PART-2)

ASSALAMUALAIKUM!!!

*UNEDITED*

ENJOY;)

**********************************************************

The next morning, Laiba woke up to the sound of someone banging her door, vigorously. She jerked up from her sleep and looked around the room, her breathing coming out dishevelled. She propped herself in a seating position and grabbed her shawl from the night stand as she heard the sound of call-for-fajr coming from somewhere distant. Quickly draping it over her head, she rolled off the bed and strode towards the door before reluctantly opening it. She peeked merely her head out and glanced left and then right, only to find the pathway empty.

There were lights peeping out of the bedroom doors lined up across the corridor and she could hear the sound of some movements coming from downstairs but other than that, there was no sign of anyone who would have knocked the door.

Furrowing her eyebrows in perplexity, she was about to get back inside when the bedroom adjacent to hers, cracked opened , revealing a half-sleepy-half-awake Burhaan who was dressed in a white robe and a cap pressed down on his head, unsuccessfully covering his enormous hair. He stopped rubbing his eyes when he saw her.

"Morning!" He waved a hand at her, propping himself against the wall that was between their bedroom.

Laiba smiled lightly at him, "Assalamualaikum! Morning to you too." She replied, making sure her body was hidden behind the door. "Um, did you knock the door?" She asked with a gesture of her head.

Burhaan chuckled, "Nope, I didn't." He answered her, "It would have been anyone but today, it wasn't me."

She raised her eyebrows, "Today? What's that suppose to mean?" She questioned.

He laughed, "I forgot you are new here." He grinned, "This is how you are woken up for fajr in the Othman House." He appraised her.

"Oh!" Laiba's lips formed an 'o'. "So, everybody wakes up for fajr here??"

"Yeah, you kind of have to. They confiscate all your gadgets for the day otherwise.."

Laiba couldn't help but laugh.

"But, your husband is an exception. He rarely attends fajr and nobody ever says anything to him."

The mention of Aariz wiped the smile out of her face, the laughter died down in a matter of seconds and the corners of her lips sagged.

But she was quick to conceal it, "Um," She blinked, looking everywhere, thinking of ways to change the subject. "Do I have to join ladies for congregation???"

"No! No! You could offer it in your room."

All of a sudden, Yusuf Othman's angry voice, coming from downstairs, startled both of them.

"AARIZZZ!! BURHAAAAN!! ESSAA!!" He was shouting on the top of his voice, calling out the boys names. "IMAM WON'T WAIT FOR YOU TO COME BEFORE HE COMMENCES THE SALAH. HURRY UP!!!!"

"God!" Burhaan gulped, checking his watch. "I gotta go. I'll see you around. Bye." With that, he ran away.

"Allah Hafiz." Laiba said to his retreating back, a smile returning on her face.