eight

EVELYN AND LEONA had been in the bakery all day, and they needed a wake up call. For whatever reason, the universe had decided to make that Wednesday one of their busiest weeks to date. While the company had encountered around two to three people a day walking into the shop to take a photo with the latest Tommy Hilfiger model and recently-made friend of various online personalities, their spike in customers genuinely wanting food and/or drinks had shaken the two shop owners. In the midst of their shift they'd shared a look. They needed more workers.

Nevertheless, they successfully made it through the day with an amount in sales being large enough to make the two shed a tear, the friends hugging it out in the middle of their empty store after closing. However, that wasn't where their day ended, because they knew that within the next two hours, Arthur and whoever his guests were would arrive with cameras galore to film a new youtube video, with Evelyn and Leona as features. They couldn't have been more excited or nervous.

When they heard the knock on the door, Leona gestured towards Evelyn to answer it as she finished wiping the last bench in the back half of the shop - the section the youtubers would be using. 

She skipped out the front and opened the door for her friend, allowing her fellow baker past. The previous night, Arthur had asked if Evelyn had another baker she could bring in for the video, so after asking the person who occasionally filled in for her whenever she was unavailable if she was free, she sighed in gratitude to find out she was.

"Nora, I've missed you! Thank you so much for coming in," Evelyn gushed as she wrapped her arm around her brunette friend, leading her back to the room Leona was occupying.

Nora pressed a kiss to the girl's cheek with a laugh. "I've missed you too, Evie. I hear you've got some things to fill me in about, or is it about someone?"

Evelyn flushed red as they entered the back room, Leona grinning widely while swinging a tea towel over her shoulder. "Oh, yes. She certainly does." However, before the blonde could even utter a word, they heard a soft knock on the door, followed by a louder, more aggressive one. "Of course, saved by a fucking knock."