ii. the tryouts

It was less than a quarter to 8 in the morning and I was trying to pass through the crowd of men to try to get in

It was less than a quarter to 8 in the morning and I was trying to pass through the crowd of men to try to get in. I was late, as always. The crowd was way bigger than what I anticipated. Did this many people care about rowing? No. Probably not. This many people cared about having a roof above their heads, a mattress under their sleeping bodies and money inside their pockets.

"Excuse me." I repeated for the 100th time.

"Elizabeth." A familiar voice pronounced my name and my chest fluttered.

"Joe." I didn't have anything else to say really. I didn't have time to say anything else. Time. What's time? It did feel like another one of those myths that people pretend it's a dogma. I forgot I was late, I forgot I was in the middle of the noisy and impatient crowd, just by meeting his gaze.

He is just a man, Elizabeth.

A voice melted the frozen clock:

"If we're saying names, I might just introduce myself." The brunette guy from two days ago was standing next to us. I didn't even notice. "I'm Roger."

"Oh. Nice to meet you." I managed to say. "Good luck. To both of you."

"Thank you." Roger spoke while Joe just wore the gratitude smile on the periphery of his slightly curved lips. And I disappeared through the crowd, entering the building as quickly as possible.

Inside the building I apologized profusely to my father.

"I told you to be here at 7:30." Al Ulbrickson affirmed.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

He sighed.

He wasn't that surprised, but still disappointed.

"Grab the numbered shirts. You're going to help Tom and William hand them out to the guys as they come in." I grabbed the shirts as he spoke. "You also have to ask their name and age and write it down on the papers that are already on the desk."

"Got it."

"Wait." I was already making my way out but stopped at the sound of my father's voice. He walked up to me and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Good morning, honey. And thank you for being here."