iv. the crew

As I marched to my father's office, I realized the lack of power I had in my hands

As I marched to my father's office, I realized the lack of power I had in my hands. They were rather empty. All I held in my skin covered flesh was a pair of puppy eyes and the option of getting on my knees and begging.

I wasn't going to do that. It's a little suspicious and a lot humiliating.

I believed, with every bone in my body, that he was on the team. However, all I wanted was to be sure, I couldn't live any more seconds in doubt, because now it was more than just sports. I couldn't bare the suffering of anyone, but specially not someone like him, someone who was as genuine and as sweet as Joe Rantz.

At the entering of the rowing quarters, I was stopped by someone, a crew member of the already existent boat, the devil.

"Lizzie." Anthony Sanders, the son of the so-called owner of the rowing team, called the nickname he wasn't entitled to use.

"I've already told you to not call me that."

"Then what should I call you, Lizzie?" Anthony's posture, voice and mere existence disgusted me in too many ways. In moments like this one, that had the tendency of happening too many times, I really questioned the choices I made in the past. 

"Nothing. Don't call me anything. Don't talk to me at all."

"You're hurting me, Lizzie." He placed his hand on the left side of his chest, where he claimed there was a heart.

"Well, I don't care." I started walking away.

"Where are you going?" He followed me. That bitch.

"Don't you have better things to do?"

"No." Even without looking, I could hear the annoying grin on his face. "There's nothing better than doing you."

"God. Ew." I had the most amount of revulsion imaginable on my face. "Can't you just leave me alone?"

"No." He spoke as I was about to step up into the stair that led into my father's office. Anthony grabbed my arm. "I asked you a question. Where are you going?"