CH 37 Date

AZRAEL'S POV

The date went not as smoothly as I had hoped it to.

However, she wasn't as easy as I thought she would be. I tried every clichè line, gesture, or sentences I found in the books and movies. None worked on Coco and it was strange to me. Cornelius told me that he used those lines for the previous girls he has dated... but I guess it didn't work for Coco.

She didn't pay attention nor did she have a reaction to any of my words that intended to woo her.

'Maybe because she is different from the others?' My wolf, Xenon growled.

Possibility...

I thought, keeping my ideas to myself.

With a last attempt for a cliche line, I said, "Hey, you're pretty and I'm cute. Together we'd be Pretty Cute."

Coco continued to eat, stopping midway and swallowing. "Are you practicing your lines to use for another girl? Because you should probably try harder than that. From what I've heard, it almost made me cringe." She said, scrunching up her nose in disgust.

I stayed silent at her comment, not knowing what to say. It surprised me, to say the very least. No one has ever said that to me before. Clearing my throat, I tried to clear the awkwardness.

"So... did you have any interest in any guys in our school? Any in particular?" I asked, hoping to speed things along.

Coco, who was busy stuffing her face with pasta again, frowned. Her head lifted up as she finally laid her eyes on me. I swear... if it was okay to society, she seemed like she would have chosen food over the date itself. Hell, food over men in general.

"Hm? Well... not really. None have caught my attention. They're all average, especially you." She said, blinking.

Ouch...

My wolf stayed quiet at this, not sure what to make of the situation. The thing was, my eye twitched, amusement making my way to my face. She was the same as always. Coco was a challenge and continued to take me by surprise. It made me remember how she defended me against this bully in our younger years. Of course, the boy grew up and most likely forgot about the encounter... but I would always remember how she stood up to me when no one else didn't. Since then, I always had a small crush on her. I wanted to know more about her suddenly and wanted to befriend her.

Even now, she probably doesn't even remember what she has done for me. Then again, she always had a front when it came t0 talking to people. Realizing my thoughts, I shook my head. Coco was too busy to notice as she continued to finish her dinner.

I shouldn't be thinking about things like this.

Coco is Cornelius's next prey... she can't be my friend or even a love interest.

It was impossible with the stakes so high.

Suddenly, Coco spoke for the first time with interest in me that evening. She wiped her mouth with her napkin, placing it on the table. Her eyes fixated on me, as she tilted her head. Though... she seemed hesitant but said it anyways. "I've been meaning to ask... but why me? You're a popular guy and many of the girls here adore you. Out of everyone, you chose me to take out to dinner? I know you have a reputation of being an actual gentleman. You don't take anyone out to dinner though and play with anyone's heart. I'm a quiet person. I'm blunt and shit. Yet... here we are."

Her question had me taken aback, as I searched quickly for an answer in my head. I needed to come up with an answer and fast. Why did I ask her to dinner again? Ah, fuck it!

"... Well, you're interesting to me." I spoke, pausing. I realized that I was speaking my actual feelings, but I needed to get it out and go back to the task at hand. After all, wasn't I doing this to woo her?

"And... I've been captivated by your beauty. I like seeing you smile. It makes me feel happy in the inside. I'm intrigued by your personality and you remind me of a puzzle I can't figure out. I don't know how to describe it, but I would really like to have another outing with you. Not as an apology or to make it up to you... but an actual date." I said, finishing what I wanted to say to her.

Coco stared at me silently, before mouthing, "Do you really mean it? Is that why you were using those cheesy puns on me?"

I nodded, noting that she surprisingly had a soft spot. Her front or wall seemed to fall. It was no longer there as I could see how she was actually feeling. Seems like she's never been taken out to dinner like this before. I knew I had taken a risk and I knew that in the end... she wouldn't be mine. But for these moments, I'd pretend she was.

She then smiled, "Yes, I'd like to go on a date with you."

*
*
*

After dinner ended, I dropped her off and she thanked me.

As I continued to drive off... I was beyond confused.

What have I done?

If I failed this task Cornelius assigned to me, what would he do to me? What would I become? Not to mention... what if I'm the one who falls for her fully and not the other way around? I had just taken a risk by actually admitting my feelings to her.

I haven't excepted so many questions within one night from a date with a girl.

No one told me about this.

Sighing in irritation, I combed through my hair with my fingers.

This is going to be harder than I thought...

A/N: Thank you for answering the questions guys! Most of them commented that the pace of the story was a little slow. I'll quicken it up a bit since I've realized that some chapters are short; which makes the storyline seem like a slow process. I'll lengthen the chapters!