Chapter 5

We walked Katara and Aang around Yu Dao, showing them the city for what it is now.

"Did you know that Yu Dao is the oldest of all the colonies?" Zuko asked as we passed shops that were set up on every street. A few smiled our way already getting used to our presence,"Many of the Fire Nation families here immigrated over a hundred years ago, when Yu Dao was just a tiny village at the bottom of a valley. Together with the Earth Kingdom people who were already here, they built all this. Yu Dao now makes the finest metalwork ever produced, using both Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom expertise,"

"The metalwork made here is the reason Yu Dao is one of the richest cities in the world. In turn the city also has the one of best finishes when it comes to construction designs, it could even rival the ones in Ba Sing Se," I added, a bit excited to share the history of this city. Zuko softly smiled at my mild excitement.

"It doesn't seem like the Fire Nation citizens and the Earth Kingdom citizens share equally in that wealth," Katara said, taking note of the Earth Kingdom citizen shining the shoe of a Fire Nation man.

My excitement died down,"Your right, it's not ideal," I said,"But everyone, including the Earth Kingdom citizens are living better lives now in comparison to a hundred years ago,"

"That's right," Zuko said.

"The history lesson is great and all, but none of it matters," Aang said,"By betraying the Harmony Restoration Movement you're going to start another war!"

"Look Aang," Zuko said, turning around,"When Kya and I came here a week ago, I had planned to personally enforce the removal of Yu Dao from the Earth Kingdom! But then,,"

"We stayed," Zuko continued looking at me. I nodded in agreement to what he was thinking.

"We saw what the people here made for themselves. The Harmony Restoration Movement would strip them of all of this," I spoke, gesturing to all the busy workers around us.

"It changed my mind. Ever since my coronation I've had trouble finding peace. Now, I think I've finally figured out why. I'd forgotten about my people," Zuko turned around to look Aang in the eyes,"I know you defeated the Fire Nation, Aang, but my people still deserve respect!"

"I defeated the Fire Nation?! You mean we defeated the Fire Lord!" Aang corrected.

"It'd be disrespectful to take from them a life they spent generations building!" Zuko defended, "I won't let you do it!"

"Harmony requires four separate nations to balance each other out!" Aang yelled,"You can't have balance if one nation occupies another!"

"Aang, we're living in a new world. These people have shared the same land for so long," I said,"Can't Yu Dao be an exception?"

The families here, despite being from different nations, they're happy. I want that happiness for Zuko and I. Not only us but for Katara and Aang. What would that mean for us? Wouldn't it mean we'd have to be separated too?

Should it really matter that we were all from different bloodlines if we could live in peace together?

I looked at Katara who glanced back at the Mayor and his family. She could see what we were talking about,"Maybe their right," She whispered.

"What?!" Aang blurted out.

"It's just a thought," Katara said nervously.

"Exceptions should be made for all the remaining colonies! Most of them have been around for well over a century," Zuko said,"They're older than you, Aang!"

"You have got to be joking!" Aang argued once more,"That would make peace impossible!"

"Aang, we can't change the past," I said sternly but softening again,"But maybe we can keep moving towards a different future,"