Chapter 2: Record Time

——————————🔥——————————

Several Years Later...

"This is too expensive, and that is not made in Fire Land. They weren't crunchy, and there wasn't enough sauce." An old fire lady complained to Coal.

Coal wore a strained smile as he repeated what his father had told him. "Take breath, make connection. Take breath, make connection."

He tried to follow his father's advice, but it wasn't working. He was still getting riled up, and his flames were turning a light purple.

"Take breath, make connection. Take breath, MAKE CONNECTION!!!" He bellowed.

His flames exploded again, shattering the glass to a display case and making the shop go deathly quiet.

Coal chuckled nervously and began waving away the smoke. "Sorry, sorry, sorry."

Bernie stepped away from two fire customers sitting at a table.

"He almost went full purple. I've never seen anyone go full purple." One of them exclaimed.

"Sorry everyone." Coal called as Bernie stepped in.

"Oh, please forgive my son. He burn bright, but sometimes too bright, eh? Nice hat by the way. Let me make you a new batch. On the house."

Bernie got to work on making the lady's food, and Coal jumped over the counter gathering up all the broken glass.

"Sorry Àshfá. I don't know why that one got away from me." Coal apologized.

Bernie waved it off. "Oh, you are tense because of big Red Dot Sale tomorrow. It has us all in a broil."

Coal put the glass in his mouth, melting it and spit it out into his hands. He then began molding the melted glass into the glass case.

"I guess." Coal shrugged. "It's just some of these customers they get me in a...aargh!"

"I know. I know. Just do what we practice. You're so good at everything else." How dad reassured.

"You're right." Coal agreed. "I'll get it. I just want you to rest."

He finished making the glass covering and placed it back in the display.

Bernie worked to try and make more Kol-nuts, and suddenly began coughing out smoke.

Coal looked at him with worry. "Are you okay?"

Bernie nodded. "Just tired."

"Let me help." Coal offered, taking over making the food.

"Bernie that cough is terrible." One of the customers at the table commented.

"Almost as terrible as your cooking!" The other one jested.

They all laughed.

"When are you gonna put Coal out of his misery and retire, huh? Finally put his name on the sign out there?"