Chapter 13: Confession

——————————🔥——————————

The Grand-Reopening of the Fireplace was going full swing. Everyone from Fire Town was there and they were all dancing and laughing and eating.

Coal sat up on a raised platform in front of the store next to his mother. Both of them were wearing clothing that had colorful bits of broken glass on them.

Bernie came out of the store, holding a small lantern that had some of the blue flame in it and stepped onto the stage and approached a microphone.

"Everyone, welcome. It is good to see your faces. I am honored to have served you, but it's time to move on. Come."

Bernie extended his hand out to Coal who stood up from his seat and approached his dad.

"My son, you are the Coal of our family fire. That is why I am so proud to have you take over my life's work."

Bernie grabbed a long fuse and used his fire to light it. The fire traveled down the fuse, and up to a bunch of flowers paced in a circle. The flowers burned away, revealing Coal's sign above the shop.

Bernie nudged Coal. "Pretty good trick, huh?" He then lifted up the lantern and held it towards Coal. "This is lantern I bring from old country. Today, I pass it on to you."

Coal held out his hands to take the lantern, hesitating slightly, when a voice cut through the crowd.

"There are other reasons!" Someone exclaimed.

Everyone turned to see Wade and (Y/n) standing just outside the celebration.

Coal's eyes widened. "(Y/n)? Wade?"

"Oh boy." Cinder muttered.

"What are you doing here?" Coal demanded.

(Y/n) leaned closer to Wade. "Wade, when I said I wanted to tell him I didn't mean in front of everyone!" She hissed.

"Something like this can't wait!" Wade insisted.

He grabbed (Y/n)'s arm and started pulling her past the tables towards the stage, and began speaking on her behalf.

"You said (Y/n) understanding is a reason you two could never work. But I thought of a bunch of them. Number one, you're Fire, she's Water. I mean, come on that's crazy right?" Wade asked, leaning towards one of the guests who nodded.

"Who is this?" Bernie asked Cinder.

"No idea." Cinder lied.

"Number Two, we're crashing your party. What kind of jerks are we?"

"Pretty big ones." Coal muttered.

"Right? Number three, she can't eat your delicious foods." Wade demonstrated by throwing come Kol-nuts in his mouth, and fizzling.

Bernie squinted his eyes at them. "Wait, I know them. He is food inspector and she is assistant."

"Oh, right, Number Four, she's banned from your father's shop. There are a million reasons you two can't work, a million no's. But (Y/n) has found one yes."