10

The qualifying session went pretty well, Max was on pole but Caroline was stuck between the two Mercedes at P3. She needs to get past Lewis to help Max win the race but if Valtteri manages to overtake her before that the team might struggle.

"Try not to crash," Christian said to both the drivers at the end of briefing before walking out of the room, leaving Max and Caroline alone.

"He keeps saying as if we willing crash and ruin our car and race," Caroline rolled her eyes.

"Umm yeah," Max cleared his throat as he got up from his seat, trying not to look at Caroline.

She has noticed this since yesterday, Max trying to avoid talking to her or even looking at her properly.

"And why are you acting so weird?" Caroline asked as she stood up and went to stand in front of him.

"What do you mean?" Max frowned.

"You have been avoiding me," she stated as she folded her arms against her chest.

"No, no I haven't," he tried to defend himself, but looking at Caroline in the process, once again getting remained of the dream he had yesterday.

"I know you Max and you..now why are you looking at me like this?" she asked.

Max was staring directly at her, his eyes exploring every aspect of her face.

"Just..just shut up," he absent-mindedly said. "I am trying to figure out something."

Caroline looked confused and she is pretty sure there is nothing on her face as she took a few selfies while briefing was going on.

"Max?" she waved her hand in front of his eyes. "Have you finally lost your marbles?"

Max was pulled back to reality and shook his head and now he is the one who looked confused.

"Yeah no, I am fine, sorry," he looked away.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just...thinking about the strategy," he lied and he knows Caroline doesn't believe him.

"Thinking about the strategy by looking at my face?" she raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah," he nodded. "Now if you will please move aside, I have dinner plans with Kelly and I am getting late."

Caroline didn't question further and stepped aside. Max gave her one last faint smile before walking out of the room.

"Something is really wrong with the angry Dutchman."

***

"You are never going to believe what I found out today," Maria Sainz said as she joined the Red Bull driver.

"That Ferrari is bringing the illegal engine back?" Caroline sassed.

"No," the PR manager shook her head. "Although they really need to bring the illegal engine back."

Caroline chuckled.

"Anyway.."Maria looked around to see if there are no people nearby who could listen to their conversation. "So I am not supposed to tell you this and heard it by accident.."

"Then maybe you shouldn't tell me.."

"Ferrari is interested in you," Maria blurted out.

"What?" Caroline let out a laugh, thinking it's a joke.

"Charles' contract is ending this year and they were talking about what to do next and your name came up," Maria explained. "They might contact you in a few months and make an offer."

Caroline was finding it hard to believe her friend's words but to drive for a legendary team like Ferrari and win races is every driver's dream.

"Don't tell anyone about this..even I am not supposed to know about this."

"No, of course, I won't tell anyone," Caroline smiled.

"So...if they ask will you join the red team?" Maria asked, giving a hopeful look.

"I don't know Maria," Caroline replied honestly. "It's a pretty big decision and I am happy in Red Bull. Besides you only said they were just discussing, they might end up re-signing Charles or ask some other driver to join, I mean a lot of contracts are ending this year."

"I know they are going to ask you to join, you are their first choice," Maria replied. "And from what I see you are happy but you are the Valtteri Bottas of Red Bull, only helping Max win races, no offense. But in Ferrari you can be so much more...and they are bringing in some awesome developments to the car next year and everyone believes they will be able to fight for the championship."

"Okay, I am going to take a little bit of offense on the Bottas comment but rest I will think about it."

"Yes!" Maria hugged her friend. "If everything goes right we will be in the same team next year."

"But Maria..how do you hear so much information by accident?"

***

"And just like that my evening got better," Lewis commented as he spotted Caroline at the hotel lobby.

"Hi Lewis," Caroline gave a polite smile.

"Hey," he smiled back as he stood in front of her. "Going somewhere?" which was obvious judging by her outfit.

"Yeah," she nodded. "A few people from the team are going out for dinner."

"You know we you can always skip that and have dinner with me," he smirked as he made eye contact with her.

"I can Lewis," she gave an innocent smile. "But I don't want to."

Max just got off the elevator with his girlfriend, on their way to go to dinner when he spotted Caroline talking to his rival. His jaw immediately clenched and fists tightly closed.

Lewis shot him a smirk when he spotted the Red Bull driver, immediately able to recognize the anger and jealousy on his face.

"How about tomorrow after the race, we go out for dinner...like a date?" Lewis suggested.

"I am not drunk or desperate enough to go on a date with you Lewis," Caroline replied.

"Oh okay, okay," Lewis let out a laugh. "It just means I will have to try harder."

"Let's go!" Eloise showed up out of nowhere. "We will be late. Hi Lewis," she waved at the seven-time champion.

"Hi Eloise," he smiled.

"Bye Lewis," Eloise hold Caroline's arm before dragging her away.

Caroline gave a quick wave before following Eloise.

Lewis smiled as he looked at Caroline. She really is a challenge but he always wins one way or another.

Max walked by with his girlfriend as he shot Lewis a glare and in return Lewis just smirked, knowing full well he is getting under his skin. Maybe he can kill two birds with one stone.

**********

A/N: Do you think Caroline will leave Red Bull and move to Ferrari?

Why is Max confused?

Do you think Lewis is genuinely interested in Caroline or he has some other motive?

What if Caroline ends up with some other driver instead of Max or Lewis?