26

"What are you doing here?" Caroline groaned as she rubbed her eyes, still not completely awake. 

"I thought you would be happier to see me," Charles brightly smiled as he barged in before Caroline could extend the invitation. 

"Charles…" Caroline sounded annoyed as she closed the door. Lewis was still sleeping in her bed and if Charles finds out then all hell will break loose. 

"What are you doing today?" he excitedly asked. 

"Planning a murder," she glared at her friend. 

"What? Who's murder?" Charles looked serious. "Is it Max?"

"No! It's you Charles," Caroline snapped. "I am gonna kill you. What are you doing here so early in the morning?"

"What? Why? " he looked scared and confused. 

"Because it's still too early to barge into someone's house."

"But I am bored and have nothing better to do… and you told me the other day that you are free the entire week," Charles looked at her innocently. 

Caroline sighed and pressed the bridge of her nose. 

Meanwhile Lewis woke up and was listening to the conversation, enjoying it but was also ready to run and hide under the bed if it comes to that. From the conversation he won't put it past Charles to barge into the bedroom for some reason. 

"Actually, something came up Charles," Caroline lied to her friend. "I am very busy today and tomorrow."

"Oh.." Charles looked disappointed. 

"But you know who is not busy today? Max," she smiled. "I am sure he would love to hang out with you so early in the morning."

"Then how about we…"

"We will hang out really soon Charles, I promised," Caroline said as she held Charles and pushed him towards the door. 

"Okay…I guess I will go over to Max's house.." Charles said, once again looking optimistic. 

But just as he was about to leave his eyes fell on a tshirt on the couch. He could have sworn it looks familiar and saw one of the drivers wearing it just last weekend. 

"Hang on.." Charles stopped and looked around, making Caroline nervous. "Is someone else here?"

"Why..why would you think that?" Caroline chuckled, trying hard to hide her nervousness. 

Lewis was now sitting with his feet on the ground, ready to hide. 

"Whose shirt is that?" Charles pointed at the gray tshirt on the couch which Caroline took off of Lewis the previous night. 

"It's…it's mine," Caroline lied. 

Charles looked doubtful as he looked at the shirt and then back at Caroline. 

"But…"

"But nothing Charles," Caroline again pushed him towards the door. "I still have to sleep some more and you have to go and hang out with Max."

Charles thought it would be best not to ask more questions and just go and ask Max as he is sure he will find the answers from him. 

***

"Is he gone?" Lewis asked when Caroline came back to the bedroom. 

"He is gone," she gave a tired smile. 

"Why was he here so early in the morning?"

"He was bored and had no plans for the day…and also he has no sense of boundaries," Caroline replied. 

Lewis chuckled and gently pulled Caroline towards him. She stood between his legs as he wrapped his arms around her waist. 

"So what should we do today?" Lewis asked as he looked up at her with a smile on his face, feeling relaxed and happy to be with her. 

"I don't know," Caroline replied as she gently ran her fingers through his hair. "Do you have anything in mind?"

"I was thinking maybe we can go out," Lewis suggested. "Just you and me on a yacht…"

"That sounds nice," Caroline smiled as she leaned down and kissed him. 

Lewis pulled her down and spun her around, pressing her against the bed and continuing kissing her. He was completely in love with her, but wants to make sure if she feels the same before deciding to take the next step in their relationship. 

***

Max almost wanted to kick Charles out and cursed Caroline for sending him over and ruining his sleep but somehow tolerated his presence. But now thinking that not kicking him out was a good idea as he went on and on about his suspicion of Caroline currently dating someone. 

"And you are sure someone else was there?" Max asked, struggling to keep his eyes open. 

"Yes," Charles nodded. "I think it's Lewis…I saw the same tshirt in her house that Lewis was wearing last race weekend."

Max's heart broke a little as he tried to process Charles' words. 

"Oh my god! Caroline and Lewis are dating," Charles' eyes went wide as realization hit him. 

"No..no they are not," Max argued. "That could have been anyone's shirt."

Charles looked unsure. 

"You really think Care is the type of person who will date another driver?" Max questioned, trying to convince Charles otherwise. He knows if word gets out that Caroline is dating another driver it will affect her badly. 

"No… but," Charles got confused. "But who could it be?"

"I have an idea who it could be but I can assure you it's not Lewis," Max lied. 

It took a little more to convince Charles that Caroline and Lewis are not together but Max finally succeeded and made him promise not to discuss this with anyone else as people will start rumors which will later get twisted and cause problems for Caroline. 

After Charles left, Max thought about calling Caroline but decided against it. If Charles is right then it means she is with Lewis at the moment and he doesn't want to call  and disturb them, even though a small part of him wants to ruin their day. 

He misses Caroline and wonders if things could have been different if he had acted upon his feelings correctly and sooner. 

**********

A/N: Lewis and Care falling in love and enjoying their time together while Max lied to Charles to protect her

I don't want to add drama but it is bound to happen...

Does anyone knows where Lewis is? The guy disappeared from the surface of the earth after Abu Dhabi. I hope he is okay.

When Lewis finally retires, who do you think will replace him?