Chapter 21

On a ship, Zuko is heading toward the Fire Nation. Mai walks over to him.

"Aren't you cold?" She asks

"I've got a lot on my mind. It's been so long, over three years since I was home. I wonder what's changed. I wonder how I've changed" Zuko replies

Mai yawns "I just asked if you were cold, I didn't ask for your whole life story" she giggles and holds his face in her hands "Stop worrying"

Mai walks away, and Zuko stays there looking out.

-

In the Fire Nation Capital, Li and Lo are addressing a crowd below the balcony they are standing on.

"Your Princess Azula, clever and beautiful, disguised herself as the enemy and entered the Earth Kingdom's Capital. In Ba Sing Se she teamed with Princess Kira and found Zuko, and together they faced the Avatar..."

"And the Avatar fell! And the Earth Kingdom fell!"

"Azula's agents quickly overtook the entire city. They went to Ba Sing Se's great walls ..."

"And brought them down!"

"The armies of the Fire Nation surged through the walls and swarmed over Ba Sing Se, securing our victory."

"Now the heroes have returned home!"

"Your princess, Azula..." 

The crowd cheers as Azula walks out.

"After three long years, your prince has returned..."

"Zuko!"

Zuko walks out with a worried expression, but the crowd cheers.

"And finally Prince Zuko's bride-to-be"

"Princess Kira!"

Kira walks out and the crowd cheers.

-

Zuko feeds turtle ducks in a lake with some bread. Azula joins him.

"You seem so downcast. Has Mai gotten to you already?" Azula questions "Though actually, Mai has been in a strangely good mood lately. Maybe she hasn't realized you're engaged already"

"I haven't seen Dad yet. I haven't seen him in three years, since I was banished" Zuko tells her

"So what?" Azula asks

"So, I didn't capture the Avatar" Zuko replied

"Who cares? The Avatar is dead..." Azula says and Zuko looks away "unless you think he somehow miraculously survived"

"No. There's no way he could have survived" Zuko replies and they glare at each other.

"Well, then I'm sure you have nothing to worry about" Azula tells him and starts to walk away

"Wait" Zuko stops her "where's Kira?"

"Talking to dad, he called her in there" Azula replied

"Why?" Zuko asks

"How should I know" Azula sighs "Just ask her yourself"

-

Zuko bows before Ozai besides Kira.

"You've been away for a long time. I see the weight of your travels has changed you. You have redeemed yourself, my son" Ozai approaches Zuko "Welcome home"

"Thank you father" Zuko replies

"I am proud of you, Prince Zuko. I am proud because you, your sister, and Kira conquered Ba Sing Se. I am proud because when your loyalty was tested by your treacherous uncle, you did the right thing and captured the traitor. And I am proudest of all of your most legendary accomplishment: you slayed the Avatar" Ozai tells him

Zuko looks shocked "What did you hear?"

"Azula told me everything. She said she was amazed and impressed at your power and ferocity at the moment of truth" Ozai clarifies "right Kira?"

"Yes my lord" Kira replies

"Now Zuko, I was thinking about you and Kira's marriage" Ozai continues "I think you should get married as soon as possible, to secure your title. What do you two think?"

"The Fire Lord is indeed very wise" Kira answers "many people are questioning Zuko's return so your decision would secure his place in the palace, many people will be pleased to know the crown prince is showing authority"

"Indeed" Ozai smiles "You two will be getting married in 2 weeks"

"Yes father" Zuko agrees

"Thank you for the opportunity my Lord" Kira answers 

Ozai smiles "you two are dismissed"

The two stand up and bow to Ozai before leaving.

-

"So.. we're getting married already" Zuko says

"I know" Kira replies "Are you ok with it?"

"Of course" Zuko tells her and blushes a bit "I mean I've had a crush on you since I was a kid, but we're only 16 so-"

"Zuko" Kira interrupted his rambling and held his hands "We'll be fine"

Zuko nods and looks at her seriously "And then as my wife you'll respect my decisions and help me... no matter what.. right?"

"Of course" Kira smiled "I'll be loyal to you until the end, no matter what you do, we'll do it together"

Zuko sighed in relief and hugged her "thank you"