Chapter 30

Zuko is being dragged down the hall.

"What are you doing? Where are you taking me?" Zuko is thrown into a chair in an interrogation room "I didn't do anything wrong!"

"we know that's a lie" Kira emerges from the corner of the room looking annoyed "Zuko"

Zuko looks shocked "...Kira"

Zuko sits in the chair slumped over with Kira standing over him. The cell door is open, with at least one guard patrolling it from outside

"How did you know I was here?" Zuko asks

"I know everything" Kira replies "...I guess I don't know you as well as I thought Zuko. I'm your wife and you just left! You could have least looked me in the eye when you ripped out my heart!"

Zuko looks up "I didn't mean to-"

"You didn't mean to?" Kira pulls out a letter and reads it "Dear Kira, I'm sorry you that you have to find out this way, but I'm leaving"

"Stop! This isn't about you. This is about the Fire Nation!" Zuko shouts frustrated

"Thanks Zuko, that makes me feel all better" Kira throws the letter down and crosses her arms

Zuko stands up "I have to do this to save my country.. our country"

"Save it? You're betraying your country!" Kira argues

"That's not how I see it" Zuko says calmly "Kira, I love you more then anything in the world" he takes one of her hands "as your husband I'm asking you to trust me... please"

Kira stares at him "I..."

A guard rushes in "Your highness there's a riot going on! I'm here to protect you!"

"Please I don't need protection" Kira says pulling her hand away from Zuko "from anyone"

"Believe me, she doesn't" Zuko chuckles

"I'm sorry, but I'm under direct orders from princess Azula to make sure nothing happens to you" the guard tells her

Kira sighs "I guess I do need extra help.. now"

Suddenly Zuko blasts fire at the guard and starts to run toward the door. The guard jumps in front of Kira to shield her.

"Zuko!" Kira runs to the door

Zuko closes and locks the door, trapping Kira and the guard in the room. He looks at her through the slit in the door with regret.

"Zuko open the door" Kira commands

"Sorry I can't do that princess" Zuko says "I promise I'll make this country better, then we'll together again"

Zuko runs off to join his friends

"Zuko you idiot!" Kira shouts after him "I'm pregnant!"

Zuko stops in his tracks for a minute before continuing to run.

-

Kira runs out to see Zuko and his friends fighting Azula and Ty Lee on top of a gondola over the lava.

"Princess Kira" A guard says noticing her

"let me see" Kira orders and they hand her the telescope

The Warden frees himself and runs to look out of the gondola "Cut the line!"

"He wants us to cut the line" A guard says

"But if we cut the line, there's no way he'll survive!" another guard shouts

Kira puts down the telescope "he knows that... let's do it!"

The guards stop the gondola by jamming the mechanism with metal bars; the wheel screeches angrily as it grinds to a halt. The gondola rocks back and forth from the sudden stop, disrupting the combatants from their respective duels.

Losing his balance, Sokka slides to the edge of the gondola, but Zuko pulls him in at the last moment. Kira approaches the line and starts burning it with Fire.

Back at the gondola Ty Lee jumps up to the top of the wire to see what is happening "Kira's about to cut the line!"

Azula notices another gondola approaching on the other wire, heading inbound and smirks "Then it's time to leave" she blasts herself up "Goodbye, Zuko" she reaches the other gondola "how does it feel to meet your end by your own wife"

Ty Lee backflips to the other gondola. When she reaches it, she looks back at Sokka, Suki, and Zuko with concern, in contrast to Azula's sadistic smile. The other three jump back into the gondola.

The line is almost entirely severed by now, but before Kira can finish she is suddenly yanked away from it and pinned to the wall by stilettos.

"Mai what are you doing!" Kira shouts

"Saving your husband" Mai replies

Guards try to attack Mai, but she dodges all their fire blasts and retaliates with her knives, pinning them all down by their wrist guards. Mai rears up in front of a female guard, who stops in fear, and deploys four knives that send the two guards behind her flying, dislodging one of the bars jamming the wheel mechanism.

She pulls out her three-pronged sai and pins down the last guard. Releasing the block on the line, she allows the gondola to continue in motion. Everyone looks back to see what happened.

"Who's that?" Sokka questions

"It's Mai" Zuko replies shocked

Back at the prison. Mai is detained by two guards, while Kira and Azula glare at her. Ty Lee stands in the middle, looking terrified and concerned.

"Leave us alone" Azula orders and the guards give the Fire Nation salute and exit. Mai raises her head a little, looking defiant, Azula stares at her "I never expected this from you. The thing I don't understand is "Why?". Why would you do it? You know the consequences"

"I guess you just don't know people as well as you think you do. You miscalculated. I love Zuko more than I fear any of you" Mai says

Kira's growls as Azula looks angry

"No, you miscalculated! You should have feared me more!" Azula angles her fingers to create lightning, and Mai readies one of her stilettos, her eyes narrowed.

Before Azula can complete her attack, however, she is struck twice by Ty Lee, who chi blocks her. Mai, blade still in hand, looks very surprised. Azula dumbfoundedly falls to the ground, paralyzed. Ty Lee seems surprised at her own actions.

Kira quickly earth bended Mai and Ty Lee into the ground.

"You're both fools!" Azula shouts

Azula is helped up by two guards. Mai and Ty Lee are both restrained, looking defiantly at the two princesses.

"What shall we do with them, princess?" A guard questions

Azula looks at Kira, who's eyes are black.

"Lock this one up where we'll never have to see her face again, and let her rot" Kira ordered pointing at Ty Lee "and you" Kira approached Mai "I'll make this fast"

Mai and Ty Lee watched in horror as Kira bended a huge boulder up over Mai's head, she smirked "Zuko is my husband.. you should've never fallen for him" the boulder dropped right onto Mai's head

"No!" Ty Lee shouts as she began to cry "...Mai.."

Back at the blimp Zuko and his friends were watching in horror at what happened as they escaped.

"Kira.. no" Zuko's eyes teared up "why... why did you do that"

"that girl she just... killed Mai" Sokka says terrified "..who is she?"

Zuko looks down sadly "..that's my wife"