11

chapter eleven

chapter eleven

the young girl waited patiently for the doors to the throne room to open. though she seemed calm on the outside, her mind was racing and she was terrified. Fire Lord Ozai was informed that the child could not only bend fire, but also water bend. he was thrilled, he finally had an advantage over the other nations and the fire nation could finally rule the world.

Iroh placed a hand on the childs shoulder, "don't be afraid, little one. i'll be there with you the entire time"

the 11 year old took a breath of relief, she was grateful for the old man. after her mother figure, Ursa, left the palace mysteriously she was scared and alone. but Iroh brought her tea and told her Ursa was safe, and they'd been inseparable ever since.

the doors suddenly opened and the girl gulped and held her breath. she prayed to agni that things wouldn't play out the way her nightmares did. soldiers guided the two to a spot on the floor right in front of the platform where the fire lord stood, a devilish grin on his face. the child and Iroh bowed to the fire lord and sat on their knees.

"Yanmei, i've heard you possess some special abilities. the ability to bend fire and water" the fire lord speaks in his deep voice that scared the child.

"yes, sire" she speaks. her normally soft voice loud and confident.

"show me a demonstration" the fire lord demanded.

Yanmei nodded and stood up. in her left hand, a ball of fire ignited. in her right, a ball of water she collected from the air levitated. Ozai widened his eyes.

"magnificent!" he shouted with a laugh. Yanmei dropped her bending and sat next to Iroh. the fire lord terrified her.

"what do you plan to do with her?" Iroh asks, concerned for the child beside him.

"train her of course! she is the key to our victory, brother. i'm glad the archers got rid of her parents when they did, they would've stood in the way of our success"

Yanmei's eyes widened, she was told her parents died in a fire after she was born. but as the fire lord just said, he was the one who killed them. a scowl grew on the girls small face and Iroh noticed.

"Ozai! the child is right here, why would you say that?" Iroh asked his brother. Ozai was in deep trouble if he thought the girl wasn't powerful yet.

Yanmei stepped closer to the alter, her fear of the fire lord vanished as she glared at him, "you killed my mom and dad!" she pointed with anger. Iroh could see the girls fist clench and when she opened her fist, a spark of blue fire came out.

"their affair was against the law and they disrespected my father, their firelord, by having you and I did what was necessary. now you will show me respect if you wish to live" Ozai growled. he would not be disrespected himself by a foolish little girl with no manners for her royals.