25

chapter twenty-five

chapter twenty-five

6 years ago

the young fire nation orphan dodged yet another fire blast from the fire princess by doing a side ariel flip, the heat of the red fire barely touching her head. time felt as if it was going in slow motion as the princess sent her three more powerful blasts. she used a blast from her first to block them, but the power of both blasts causing her to fall into the small pond behind her with a thud.

the princess laughed as her friend fell, her clothes and hair now soaked, "seems that you haven't been training as much as you should be"

Yanmei lifted her brows, "oh really?" the slightly older girl bended from the water beside her, creating a large whip to drag the princess into the pond with her. the princess resurfaced with a playful glare and moved her now wet hair out of her face and  the orphaned girl laughed loudly, "I've got other skills to learn, Zula"

the younger girl joined in on the laughter, "it seems I have doubted you, Yanny"

the red eyed girl held a hand out for her ember eyed friend, "you're strong too, Zula. your father was right in calling you a prodigy. you're as skilled as me and you're two years younger than me"

"we're both pretty awesome benders," the princess smiled. she then accepted the hand of help and both girls walked back to the palace arm in arm.

present 

the seventeen year old dual bender awoke with a gasp, looking around at the unfamiliar room as she woke up from her dream. it was a sort of flashback from all those years ago in the Fire Nation when she was friends with Azula. back when the fire princess was a decent human being. she heard a long sigh from across the room and looked to see said princess and her little minions Mai and Ty Lee walk over to her.

"finally. you've been out for hours" Azula said with her infamous smirk on her lips. Yanmei glared at the 14 year old and kicked her feet out as she stood up, sending a powerful blast of fire towards her and her minions/friends. Azula blocked it and brushed her fingers through the two strands of her hair that hung on her face, "I didn't bring you here to fight you, Yanny. we need to have a much needed talk"

the red eyed girl scoffed, "what is there to talk about, Azula?"

"many things," the princess shrugged, "the leader of the Dai Li, Long Feng, is in prison, meaning that those men out there need a new leader. that leader is me. and with your help, we can take over Ba Sing Se and you can go home. your banishment and all charges against you will be dropped, and you can help the Fire Nation rule the world. that is your destiny after all"

Yanmei took a step closer to her old friend and current enemy, "I will never help you. I am not your weapon like I was your fathers. my destiny is not to watch the world fall into chaos, it is to help Zuko get on the right track and then aid the Avatar into taking you and your father down"