21

chapter twenty-one

chapter twenty-one

3 years ago

today was a perfect day. the sun was up bright in the sky, no clouds in sight. the weather was not too hot and not too cold. it was that kind of calm windless weather that made you want to go outside and do fun activities with friends and family. flowers were blooming, leaves were turning green, the people of the Fire Nation were happy.

but today was the worst day for the 13 year old fire prince Zuko and his orphaned best friend Yanmei. today was the day they would be banished from their home, forced to sail the world in search of the avatar for their freedom to come home.

Fire Lord Ozai and his daughter Azula watched as his brother, his son, and his prodigy boarded the ship they would live on for the time being. a smirk formed on the fire princess' face as she watched the ship sail away with the three people she disliked most in the world. her uncle Iroh, who chose her brother over her. her brother Zuko, who she fought with daily and hated for making her out to be the bad guy. and her old friend, now enemy, Yanmei, who used her gifts to control the blood in the princess' body.

Yanmei held tightly onto Zuko's hand as they sailed away from their home, watching as it slowly disappeared from their veiw. Iroh placed his hands on their shoulders, "we'll be back before you know it, and your people will greet you with open arms"

Zuko touched the bandage on his eyes, behind it a now permenate mark of just how ruthless his father was, "I cannot come back until we find the Avatar. I have to restore my honor if I am to be the next Fire Lord"

"and you'll be the best Fire Lord the world has ever seen," Yanmei spoke, clutching his hand tighter, "I believe in you"

Zuko turned to Yanmei and nodded, the frown on his lips still intact, "thank you, Yanny"

Iroh tapped Yanmei's shoulder, signaling for her to come with him. she looks over to Zuko one last time before walking with his uncle and her father-figure. they walk inside the ship and to th kitchen, where Iroh goes to make some tea.

Yanmei sits on top of the far counter and frowns, "do you think Zuko will be alright? I feel terrible for what happened and I want to help him, but I just don't know how"

Iroh hands her a cup of tea, "only time can heal all wounds, Yanmei," 

present

the young dual bender stood in awe at the city below her. the wall surrounding the city was enormous, bigger than any other wall she had seen. the city was divided into three parts: the lower ring, the middle ring, and the upper ring. the lower ring is where they would be staying, since that's where all refugees were placed. though it was the poorest part of the city, it was still full of life. families everywhere, beautiful flowers, fruits, baskets, and other items filled the markets.