23

chapter twenty three

"are you mad, Zuko?" Yanmei questions the boy as he holds up one of Appa's missing posters that were now scattered around town. "we have the chance to start over, to build a better life for ourselves, and you want to throw it all away to go back to being the hot-headed child who's obsessed with regaining the honor we all know you won't get? capturing the Avatar doesn't matter anymore! you should be happy! move on, Zuko!" the angry dual bender slams the door to their apartment open, setting her basket of fruits on a table as she watches Iroh pack his items into a chest. "what's going on?" 

Iroh turns to her with a smile, grabbing her hands and twirling around, "we're moving to the upper ring! a kind wealthy man gave us our own store and a new home! isn't that so exciting?"

Yanmei giggled and stood back in place in front of the man, "that's amazing, Iroh!" she then looks over at Zuko who had his signature scowl/frown on his face and her face falls. Iroh goes back to packing. 

"so I was thinking about names for the tea shop. how about The Jasmine Dragon? it's dramatic, poetic, has a nice ring to it," he says, facing away from the teens. Yanmei notices Zuko's grip tighten on the leaflet and she crosses her arms, inaudibly sighing.

"the Avatar's in Ba Sing Se," the fire prince speaks, showing the leaflet to his uncle, "and he's lost his bison"

Iroh takes the leaflet from his nephew's hands, "we have the chance for a new life here"

"that's what I said!" Yanmei commented, opening her arms our wide for effect. they ignore the girl and Zuko walks over the window.

"if you start stirring up trouble, we could lose all the good things that are happening for us" 

Zuko turns back to Iroh, clearly irritated, "all the good things happening for you. have you ever thought that I want more from life than a nice apartment and a job serving tea?"

Iroh closes his eyes as he speaks softly, "there is nothing wrong with a life of peace and prosperity. I suggest you think about what it is that you want for your life, and why"

Zuko turns back to look outside, "I want my destiny"

Yanmei shakes her head, clearly disappointed in her friend's mindset right now, "and what that mean is up to you, Zuko," and with that she goes to her room and slams the door shut. she sits on the bed, putting her head in her hands as she sighs. Yanmei had hopped that their recent travels would distract Zuko from hunting down Aang and get him to stop, but today proved that otherwise. she looked up and noticed a piece of thick string coming out from under the drawer. curiously, she grabs the string and along with it comes a blue and white mask. the Blue Spirit mask.

Yanmei knew good and well who and what the Blue Spirit was, and that Zuko used it as a way to get what he wanted without going undetected. she held the mask for a couple more minutes before hearing footsteps coming closer to the door. she quickly put the mask back under the dresser and sat up with a small, fake smile as Zuko walked into their room.