Ninjago Confidential

(Ninjago City is shown in greyscale.)

Zane: (Narrating in a dramatic voice) Ninjago City. My city. I know it like the insides of my own circuits. Which is why I know... it has a dark side. My best friends are trapped in an immersive video game called Prime Empire.

(Zane is revealed to have been narrating out loud.)

Zane: Yeah, you heard that right. They're being held there by a villain named Unagami. But "Unagami" isn't his real name. It's as fake as a used car salesman's smile. His true identity is Milton Dyer, the computer programmer who designed Prime Empire. The only hope for them getting out of the digital world rests on finding Dyer in the real world. My world. I was fishing for leads, but for now I find myself adrift on a sea of dead ends.... 

(P.I.X.A.L. steps out of the fog with Izzy on her shoulder.)

Zane: Then... She walked in.

(The color returns to normal.)

P.I.X.A.L.: There you are, Zane.

Zane: She said, shining the only ray of light into my dreary world!

Izzy: Ugh, barf. 

Zane: The snake said as it was clear that she was grossed out. She didn't appreciate romance. 

P.I.X.A.L.: Who are you talking to? And why are you dressed like that?

Zane: (Speaking in his normal voice) Since we are engaged in detective work, tracking down a missing person, I have downloaded thousands of detective books and movies as research.

P.I.X.A.L: And that has to do with... hats?

Zane: According to my analysis, 100 percent of successful detectives wear trench coats and hats while narrating their thoughts. Thus I have adopted the same methodology.

P.I.X.A.L.: It seems improbable that hat choice and overly descriptive monologues are significant factors in an investigative outcome.

Izzy: Yeah, it seems uh, whatever she said. 

Zane: (Sighs.) I've tried everything else to no success. This method has to work.

P.I.X.A.L.: Well, okay I guess. I do have a new possible avenue of inquiry.

Zane: (Dramatic voice) A lead!

P.I.X.A.L.: What?

Zane: (Normal voice.) Detectives call it a "lead."

P.I.X.A.L.: Okay, I have a "lead". A source willing to share information.

(Zane gets back into character and the colors go back to greyscale which Izzy notices.)

Izzy: Where'd the colors go? 

Zane: (Dramatic voice) Ah... So a "canary" wants to "sing?" Who is it?

(P.I.X.A.L. projects an image of a young Dyer and another figure.)

P.I.X.A.L.: Remember this photo from Dyer's childhood home? I was able to track his friend to Laughy's Karaoke Club. Perhaps he knows Dyer's whereabouts.

Zane: So... A rumble on the street gave us a hot tip about a goon we needed to shake down. It was time for these two gumshoes to beat feet. (He leaves.) 

(P.I.X.A.L. and Izzy sigh loudly and follow him.)

(Zane, Izzy, and P.I.X.A.L. arrive at Laughy's, and as they enter the room goes silent. Everyone glares at them.)